Over the last few months, many of you have asked how you can be more involved. Well, now we have many ways for people to actively participate in the campaign to preserve Blair Mountain. Whether you live far or near, have a lot of time or very little time, there are ways you can help out.
If you’d like, read over our program outline below, and if you feel like you’d like to be part of one of the working groups, email us at email@example.com
The primary goals of the Blair Mountain Heritage Alliance are to preserve and raise awareness about the Blair Mountain battlefield and to work toward a sustainable and prosperous future in Blair and the larger central Appalachian region. Our overall work encompasses researching and addressing issues such as environmental concerns, labor, history, education, equality, health, and economic development.
The BMHA functions as a grassroots organization that seeks to incorporate and serve the interests of the community. Our organization has multiple ways in which community members, volunteers, and core organizers pursue the goals stated in the mission statement.
Community Advisory Group: This is composed of members of the Blair community that advise and provide guidance for the steering committee.
Steering Committee/Core Organizers: This group is composed of core organizers with long-term experience working in the community of Blair, both in regards toward the preservation of the battlefield and community issues.
The groups are composed of volunteers who are able to participate with varying levels of engagement. Groups are bottom-lined by core organizers, and overall strategy is developed with the steering committee. The working groups are as follows:
- Permit Group: tasks are to track and monitor permits and to notify the larger group when important dates or milestones are coming up.
- Events/Outreach: this group is a broad one, working to put together events that raise awareness and help educate about the battlefield. From rallies, letter writing campaigns, artistic projects, historical research, this group has it all!
- Media Group: this group works to issue news releases through both traditional media and social media. If you do not have experience, some training is part of the experience!
- Fundraising: the is the group that keeps things moving! Help host fundraisers and events, or look through grants and help secure foundational monies. This is an important working group for sure!
- Clean Water Group: this group works to make sure safe water is available to the community of Blair and that water testing is being undertaken in order to ensure that pollution is not impairing the health and welfare of the community and environment.